Thursday, January 27, 2005

Sun Sparcstation 5

I've been working on a few projects lately. One of those projects is trying to get my Sparc 5 going. I bought 3 Sparc 5's, all of which had holes physically drilled through the proprietary SCSI hard drives - SUCKS! Argh, that meant I had to get a new SCSI drive for the machine. Luckily enough the good folks at The Working Centre, specifically Dave B., said I could take the drive someone had donated.



Unfortunately my Sparc has no floppy drive, no cdrom, and was lacking ram. On the positive side, it has a 110 MHz processor, the best of the class for running Linux. (There is a 170MHz model, but it was a completely different processor).

About 6 months ago I bought a 13w3 monitor for $50CDN, plus a couple of Sparc 2's and a Sparc 1, all three of which I donated to TWC. Keith from TWC gave me a better 13w3 monitor, so I donated the old one to TWC. I'm kicking myself a bit now because Bill R. once asked me if there was any need for an ultrasparc at TWC - I said no because I was in one of those cleaning up the house moods and we have an aweful lot of stuff that gets donated that's useless. Most of the people who come to TWC come looking for PC platform and MS Windows, so UNIX boxes are not a big thing...but it sure would be nice to have now. Hopefully someone saved it from the dumpster.

So, the last thing I need to acquire is a keyboard and mouse. I've posted a message in uw.forsale looking for one locally. If you're in Waterloo and have a sparc 5 compatible keyboard and mouse, please contact me: charm-at-prochlight-dot-ca

No comments: