Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Cambridge, Ontario Installfest results

The Cambridge, Ontario, installfest has come and gone. Though the installfest was much quieter than the one which took place almost a year ago at The University of Waterloo, I would count it as a success.

I managed to install Debian/GNU Linux 3.0rc2 on a Compaq Contura notebook with the following specs (486DX100 16MB RAM, 700MB hard drive, no CD-ROM). I did a network install using http and ftp. Unfortunately there wasn't time to install the XFree86 packages, but I've worked on the machines before and successfully installed XFree86 3.3.6 on a similar box.

I'd like to thank John, from Netdirect, for the ride up and for pointing me in the right direction regarding my Lucent winmodem (I'll relate this in a subsequent post). I'd also like to thank Gary, Richard and Megan for organizing the event, and a special thanks to Shayne for the lift home - we'll get IceWM on there yet.

No comments: