Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Microsoft MN-720 802.11g WiFi adapter

I've successfully configured a Microsoft MN-720 802.11g WiFi adapter on SuSE Linux. The process was as follows:

1. Strip the mn720-50.sys and mn720.inf drivers from the Microsoft Windows driver disc (put it in a drivers directory off my home directory).
2. Install ndiswrapper from rpmfind.net
3. With the WiFi adapter removed:

ndiswrapper -i mn720.inf
ndiswrapper -l
modprobe ndiswrapper

Now plug in the mn-720 card and voila!

Note: I've found that SuSE doesn't properly shut down while the card is installed, so I remove it before halting the system. I read somewhere that it had something to do with the Windows driver being bloated and that if I recompiled my kernel with a certain option it would stop the problem. No time to try it yet.

No comments: