Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Lucent Winmodem success under SuSE 9.2-Professional

In a couple of other posts I mentioned that I was having some issues with my Lucent-based winmodem. The modem worked fine with the ltmodem driver installed, but only when, as root, I typed:

modprobe lt_modem
modprobe ltserial


Well, new kernels mean new things, and the days of /etc/modules.conf are gone. Under SuSE the same information goes in a file that resides in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory. In a passing converation John from Netdirect mentioned modprobe.conf having replaced modules.conf - this lead me in the right direction.

If you cd /etc/modprobe.d/ you'll probably notice a few files that contain configuration information, i.e. sound, tv.

I simply created a file called modem in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the following information:

alias char-major-62 ltserial
alias /dev/tts/LT0 ltserial
alias /dev/modem ltserial


Note that this is slightly different that what's in the documentation, ltserial instead of lt_serial.

I hope this helps other Lucent winmodem users and users new to SuSE.

No comments: